Be it a year-round home or holiday home here on the Costa del Sol, one of the most important pieces of furniture in your house, apartment or villa is your bed. A great bed is the key to a great night’s sleep and a great night’s sleep is the key to a healthier, happier you.
Getting enough quality sleep on a regular basis can improve your concentration, productivity, mental well-being, athletic performance, and immune system. It also has been scientifically shown to decrease your risk of obesity, heart disease, stroke, type 2 Diabetes and depression, so needless to say, getting the bed and mattress that’s right for you is an important factor in your interior design choice.
Choosing the Right Bed For Your Home
Your bedroom’s interior design should be centred around the bed. The size, shape, and style should reflect the architecture and interior design of the room, with careful attention paid to the emotional connection you have to your bedroom from the moment you walk in the door. A great bed will make you feel comfortable, relaxed and at immediately at ease before you even lie on it, accomplished through a stunning design, quality mattress and stylish bed linens.
The Best Bed Shop on the Coast!
At Mad About Furniture, we have a huge array of bed options for you to choose from including platform beds, daybeds, sleigh beds, panel beds, adjustable beds, mid-century beds, brass beds, white beds, upholstered beds, and bespoke beds built to your exact specifications (including the increasingly popular round beds!) on a range of bases, including slatted bases, orthopedic bases, solid bases, storage bases and more. Our team of professional interior designers can help you every step of the way in choosing the right bed frame and base for your home and expertly co-ordinate other bedroom furniture and bedding and soft furnishings to your home’s design to accomplish not only a show home look to your bedroom, but a real sanctuary feel that every homeowner deserves.
When shopping for your bed in Spain, remember that European bed sizes are different from American ones! A typical ‘Single’ bed in Spain is 90 x 180cm while the considered equivalent ‘Twin’ is much bigger (97 x 191cm) elsewhere. An American ‘Queen’ bed is also a European ‘King’ and an American ‘King’ is a European ‘Superking’.
At Mad About Furniture, we carry all sizes of European mattresses sizes: Single (90 x 190cm), Double (135 x 190cm), King (180 x 190cm), and Superking (200 x 190 cm). We also carry 200cm length single, double, king, and superking bed sizes for our taller clients.
Choosing the Right Mattress For You
Creating the perfect bed for you is not just about style, but comfort, and choosing the right mattress for you is critical in this process. An important investment in your physical and mental well-being, we always advise all our clients to spend the time to research what works best for you and your needs when making this important decision. Some factors you should consider are:
- Cost: Quality mattresses are expectedly a bigger initial investment, but they also have a longer lifespan, meaning you can use them for potentially years longer than a lower quality model knowing they will keep their shape and comfort level. Higher cost does not always mean higher quality, though, so make sure to consider all a mattress’ pros and cons before making a decision.
- Material: Mattresses can be made of different materials, all with their own benefits. Choosing the most comfortable one for you is, essentially, a matter of personal preference, so it’s best to try out each kind to find the one that’s right for you. Styles and their benefits beyond comfort include:
- Innerspring (or coil, or pocket sprung) mattresses have traditional metal coils that bounce with pressure. Advantages to this style are durability, strong support, and a naturally cooler night’s sleep due to increased airflow through the springs.
- Latex mattresses, which have been designed to create a cooling effect, too, as well as structured comfort, and can be made from natural or artificial latex. Latex mattresses are generally more expensive but provide a long-lasting, quiet, odor-free sleep experience.
- Memory Foam mattresses have a layer high-density foam as a base with a layer of scientifically-designed foam that contours to your body shape sitting on top, making it preferred choice for nearly every body type and sleeper style. It’s also preferred by many for its ability to absorb energy, thus isolating movement, especially helpful for couples that tend to toss and turn at night. Memory foam retains heat, however, which can make warm sleepers even warmer, an important consideration when making your mattress purchase decision.
- Hybrid mattresses include a variety of springs, latex, and memory foam in varying degrees and can offer a best of both worlds option when mattress shopping. As the ratio of each material varies with each mattress make and model, if you opt for this mattress style, be prepared to try many options before making a decision about which you like best.
- Pillow-top mattresses are any combination of pocket sprung, latex, or memory foam mattresses with an additional layer of soft material added on top to make it softer, great for those who like a plush bed but less ideal for sleepers who need or want a firm mattress.
- Adjustable beds and mattresses allow you to change your sleeping position by raising or lowering the head or foot of the best, ideal for those who have chronic back pain or disrupted sleep due to snoring.
- Firmness: How soft or firm your mattress should be is completely up to you. Generally, however, your sleeping position tends to dictate what level of firmness is most comfortable. For those who sleep on their backs, a firm mattress is often your ideal choice, as it offers the support your back needs to stay pain-free. For stomach sleepers, a soft mattress provides better comfort, but without enough support, your spine could curve and cause pain so a mid-firm mattress is usually your best bet. Side sleepers tend to benefit most from soft mattresses as they help take pressure off your hips, allowing you a better night’s sleep. Your weight can also be a helpful starting point when deciding what firmness level is ideal for you. Heavier people usually find a firm mattress offers better support (but not always!) while lighter people can usually get the support their body needs from a softer mattress.
Trying Out Potential Mattresses
In the end, choosing the right mattress for you really comes down to personal preference, so at the Mad About Furniture showroom in Nueva Atalaya, Estepona, we always have a large range of mattress styles in both material and firmness level available for you to try out. We highly encourage all our visitors to jump on the beds but remember, too, to lie on them in your natural sleeping position to find the one that’s right for you. Don’t worry if you fall asleep – we’ll throw a blanket over you and let you snooze as long as you like! And no matter what mattress you choose from us, you can always rest easy knowing that we only sell quality mattresses from top-rated brands like Sonpura, Dupen, and Suitex so you’ll get a great night’s sleep for years to come.
Our friendly staff and trained professionals are always on hand to help you explore all your bed and mattress choices to find your perfect fit in terms of comfort and style, entirely stress-free.
Visit our bed shop or get in touch with us online to get started!